[tbb-dev] Tor Browser for Android Roadmap/Proposal

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:46:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 5:54 PM, Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Below is the current (rough) roadmap and outline of Tor Browser for
> Android. There remains some uncertainly of some aspects (and timing),
> but we should be able to make some decisions in Rome.

Exciting to see this roadmap! I think one thing that would be useful
to include in this document is: what features are required for a
minimum viable product (MVP-alpha and MVP-stable)? Probably it's best
to frontload implementing those features and postpone everything else.
For example, maybe for the first MVP-alpha it's OK not to have new
mobile fingerprinting protections, circuit display, pluggable
transports, and reproducibility (just hypothetically). I think it will
be helpful to have an alpha out as soon as possible.

>     - Begin auditing GeckoView and Mozilla Focus implementation as
>       upstream of TBA

Perhaps we should doing a preliminary audit of GeckoView and Focus now
instead of Q3? Naively, I imagine the way GeckoView and Focus are
implemented may have important considerations for how we build TBA. It
would be a pity if we have to re-do work because the current TBA
design ends up being incompatible with GekoView and Focus.

>     - Focus has different "look and feel", evaluate UX impact

Again, I think it would be good to look at the UX now rather than
after a first UX has been implemented.

>   In Q4:
>
>     - Release first version of TBA with TorLauncher integration

Does this mean TBA-alpha or TBA-stable?