[tbb-dev] [Survey] Does your team uses github.com?

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Jul 30 14:43:00 UTC 2018

isabela:

[snip]

> survey:
>
> Do you currently use github for anything? If yes, could you describe a
> bit how? Things like:
>
>   * What usernames your team members has on github?
>   * What github projects is your team using?
>   * What github repos?
>   * Any special permissions configuration?
>   * Do you sync what is there with tor's git? (gitweb) If so how?

As a team we don't use Github currently. There are some team members who
have personal repositories on Github instead of using our own
infrastructure for that, though.

> If you are not using it yet, and could see a reason to start using it,
> please let us know:
>
>   * What would you answer for the above questions (for those who are
>     already using it), you can write 'i would need a project named xxxx'
>     for instance.
>   * Is there anything else your team would need in order to be set up to
>     use github?

I think no one on the team is against trying it out at least.
Furthermore, we have some folks who want to benefit from a good Github
integration as it makes it e.g. much easier for them to contribute
patches. Thus, I think we should offer that option in a way that we

a) expose our canonical Tor Browser related repos on Github (that is
Torbutton, Tor Launcher, tor-browser-build, rbm, tor-browser)
b) can do code reviews on Github if someone wants that
c) can easily deal with pull requests against our mirrored Tor Browser
repos on Github

I don't think we are at a point where we want to have a Github-only
workflow just keeping the repos at out infrastructure. I fear the moment
where M$ is banning Tor usage from Github for some arbitrary reason and
then we are trying to scramble to our feet (assuming that all of us are
actually dogfooding and are using Tor Browser/Tor to do their work).
And, additionally, I at least am not convinced of using non-free tools
to create free software.[1]

Georg

[1] https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html