[tbb-dev] Sandboxing Tor Browser - Next Step

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Thu Jul 26 15:52:34 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:44 PM, Matthew Finkel
<matthew.finkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> How should we document ranking each of the sandboxing options with the
> stated criteria? Would this be easier on another pad or using a
> spreadsheet (ethercalc)?

Before we do this in earnest (because it's probably a week of
person-work or more) - do we need to?

Georg had indicated some affinity to (d).

I think (d) certainly has the flexibility to give us the best
security-usability-tradeoff on all platforms.  (What I mean by that is
"Running Tor browser on Linux in a VirtualBox container on Windows"
(aka (a)) is certainly a more secure solution than (c) - but it's also
going to be a bad user experience.)  The major detriments of (d) as I
see them are costs on maintainability and difficulty of uplift
depending on the solution we pursue on each.

All in all, I'm quite happy with (d).

-tom