[tbb-dev] HOPE talk

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Jul 19 16:29:15 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 01:13:28AM +0000, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> Let me know if you have any thoughts - either on-list or off-list.

Hi Matt,

I know there's always a balance to be had, but every time we do one of
these talks I find that most of the audience doesn't know that much about
Tor (or in this case, Tor Browser). So for example 90%+ of them aren't
going to know about the reproducible builds idea, or the fact that we
maintain a bunch of patches on Firefox to fix privacy issues, or the fact
that Firefox has been merging these patches upstream lately, or the fact
that Tor Browser aims to make all users look like each other (as opposed
to blending in to "all browsers on the Internet" or some such), etc.

So I guess my advice is: be wary of going too deep too fast, else you'll
find yourself talking to people afterwards and realizing that they are
excited but they have no foundation of knowledge to which they can attach
anything you said. :)

--Roger