[tbb-dev] Sandboxing Tor Browser - A New Beginning (?)

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri Jul 6 21:20:41 UTC 2018

On 6 July 2018 at 16:05, Yawning Angel <yawning at schwanenlied.me> wrote:
> The number of upstream (Firefox) changes that were needed to be
> to get the Linux sandbox to work was exactly 0.  There was one fix I
> backported from a more current firefox release, and two upstream firefox
> bugs that I worked around (all without altering the
> firefox binary at all).
>
> The design and code survived more or less intact from 7.0.x to at least
> the entirely of the 7.5 stable series (I don't run alpha, I assume
> there's some changes required for 8.0, but the code's deprecated and I
> can't be bothered to check.  It would have survived if the time and
> motivation was available).

It really seems to me on the outside that that Linux is an exception
to Mac/Windows (and maybe Android) - it's got rich support for
containerization and restrictions and by and large
sandboxed-tor-browser was able to live very nicely within them.

>> Spelled out:
>>  - The FF Parent Process talks to and controls the Content Processes
>> (using existing IPC mechanisms) and maybe/probably interfaces with the
>> Networking process and other Helper Processes in unknown future ways.
>> The content processes probably talk to the Network process directly,
>> they might also talk to the other helper processes.
>> - The Networking process talks to Tor using SOCKS with (probably) a
>> domain socket or named pipe
>> - Tor Control requests are sent from the Parent Process to the broker
>> which filters them and then passes them to Tor over the control port.
>> - The broker is most likely the least sandboxed process and may
>> provide additional functionality to the parent process; for example
>> perhaps it passes a writable file handle in a particular directory so
>> the user can save a download.
>
> How do you envision updates to work in this model?  Having the sandbox
> be externalized and a separate component makes it marginally more
> resilient to the updater/updates being malicious (though I would also
> agree that it merely shifts the risks onto the sandbox update mechanism).

Probably: the parent process checks to see if an update file is
present upon restart; if there is, it validates and applies the
update. After applying the update (or if no update is present) it
drops privileges such that it is unable to write/replace any of the
existing files.

An attacker who compromises the parent process can download and place
a malicious update file in the directory; but doesn't have permission
to apply it. They can only compromise the update install mechanism of
the running process (not the process on disk) - but it doesn't have
permission to apply it. Upon process restart you're running an
uncompromised process that will reject the update.

> It is also not clear to me how to do things like "peek at the
> executable's ELF header to only bind mount the minimum number of shared
> libraries required for the executable to run" from within the executable
> itself.

Yea; probably not. Unless we do wind up with firefox.exe launching
another firefox.exe that acts as the parent process. Which is underway
for Windows; but not Linux.

> Anyway, as far as I can tell, the differences in what you're suggesting
> vs the existing/proposed architecture boils down to "how much of firefox
> should be trusted?".  To this day, I remain in the "as little as
> possible" camp, but "nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy".

Pretty much. I definitely think a sandboxed-tor-browser type is better
- much better. It's just way, way more work on Mac/Windows and way
more divergence from Firefox's current and future plans.

----------------------

On 6 July 2018 at 18:30, Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When one is able to achieve High Impact goals from the Content Process
>> - it seems to me that engineering effort should be focused on closing
>> _those_ holes first, before trying to build a solution for the parent
>> process. (I'm not saying we shouldn't plan for the parent process
>> though!)
>>

> Having Mozilla's help identifying what is needed, and where we should
> start, in this area will be extremely helpful.

We could definitely do a brainstorming session with the Mozilla
sandboxing folks to open a bunch of bugs on this.

>> There's https://www.bromium.com/ which operates in this space, and
>> despite having a bunch of slick marketing and buzzwords and stuff
>> actually has a really powerful technology core.
>>

> That website is...hard to read. But yes, ideally, that is where I think
> private browsing mode should go in the future, where the browser is
> contained by a cross-platform VM and we have a minimal trusted computing
> base with a limited attach surface.

That would be ideal...

> In this way, the browser only needs
> one set of sandboxing techniques in the browser. All platform-specific
> mitigations and restrictions are in an abstraction layer at the
> VM-Kernel interface.

That seems to assume a Docker-like approach where you've got a
cross-platform virtualization engine...

I think there will always be a lot of platform-specific sandboxing
code present, in both the browser and in any container-solution that
gets devised.  Unless you have the container solution run the browser
on a fixed OS with whatever host OS but that seems problematic for a
lot of reasons.

I also think it's likely that if Firefox goes to a container-based
approach, it's going to integrate with each system differently; not
use a cross-platform solution like Docker. You're just going to get
better performance and integration out of something from the native
OS.  This is where Edge is going:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-application-guard/wd-app-guard-overview

>> The Chromium/Firefox sandbox on Windows is composed of the interaction
>> of SetProcessMitigationOptions (of which there are many options),
>> Integrity Level (both an 'Initial' and a 'Delayed') as well as Job
>> Level, Access Token Level, Alternate Desktop, and Alternate Windows
>> Station.
>>

> I'm hopeful we can use more of these than we do currently.

We can; and today* if we accept certain breakage.

* Today really meaning after weeks of testing...

>> Also; have you experimented with/confirmed the restriction mentioned
>> at All Hands; that a process with a Seatbelt Policy cannot launch a
>> process with a more restrictive seatbelt policy?  (I think mcs ran
>> into this with the Mac Sandbox policy that used to ship with Tor
>> Browser Alpha.)  This is a significant problem to any Apple-based
>> sandboxing policy, and frankly one I think someone should make a
>> semi-organized petition from browser makers to Apple to fix.
>
> Yes - I wonder if the sandbox_init() call failed because it was denied
> by our initial sb policy. But, at the same time, I wonder if after
> adding a first-layer of sandboxing that (somehow) allows calling
> sandbox_init() again, does this result in futher restricting the current
> sandbox policy, or does this overwrite the original policy.
>
> The man page (as available online), does not describe this behavior
> other than saying calling sandbox_init() places the current process into
> a sandbox(7). And that man page only says "New processes inherit the
> sandbox of their parent."
>
> https://www.manpagez.com/man/3/sandbox_init/
> https://www.manpagez.com/man/7/sandbox/
>
> Complaining about this design is most likely a dead-end, however - maybe
> that shouldn't stop us from making some noise, though.
>
> "The sandbox_init() and sandbox_free_error() functions are DEPRECATED.
> Developers who wish to sandbox an app should instead adopt the App Sand-
> box feature described in the App Sandbox Design Guide."

I'm told by our Mac person (Alex) that seatbelt is not going to get
removed. "It's been deprecated for a while, and (a) all the platform
binaries are sandboxed using it, (b) every web browser (including
safari) uses it."  So that's something.

>> > Is there something we
>> >           can use for mitigating ROP gadgets within the sandbox?
>>
>> I'm not sure where this goal came from, but it seems very independent
>> of sandboxing. But I think the general answer is: No, not until one
>> has or can emulate Execute-Only memory, which might be possible if one
>> runs their own hypervisor (I don't think Hyper-V can do it but maybe?)
>>

> This is related, but I see it didn't logically flow from the surrounding
> throughts. While I was thinking about using DLL injection for WinSocks, I
> thought about how that wouldn't prevent an attacker using ROP for bypassing it.

I hadn't considered that; but I assume it is not possible or
Chromium's sandbox from the get-go would be insecure.

>> As with all things sandboxing, we need to be sure there are not IPC
>> mechanisms to a privledged process that bypasses the sandbox
>> restrictions. On the networking side, there is
>> https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/network/PUDPSocket.ipdl
>> - which i think is used by WebRTC.
>>

> Thanks, good point. This is something we'll need to address before we enable
> WebRTC, anyway. On Android this code should be run by the background
> GeckoService, so as long as it is sandboxed that shouldn't bypass the proxy -
> but this needs verification.

This is probably an issue today absent WebRTC; a compromised content
process can probably invoke these IPC methods.  But this would only
matter on Mac, since that's the only platform that prevents network
connections from the content process.

>> So the goal of sandboxing in this area would be to restrict access to
>> any hardware/machine/OS identifiers like OS serial number, MAC
>> address, device ids, serial numbers, etc. After that (the 'cookies' of
>> device identifiers if you will), the goal would be to restrict access
>> to machine-specific features that create a unique fingerprint: like
>> your GPU (which I illustrate because it can render slightly unique
>> canvas data) or your audio system (which I illustrate because it can
>> apparently generate slightly unique web audio data.)
>>

> I don't know how to do this on all the platforms, so this is something that
> we'll need documented. If Mozilla already have this information and/or if this
> is already available in Firefox, then that's a good first step.

Same on the brainstorming; but it'd be good to come up with a list of
identifiers we're concerned about (and ideally some examples of how to
get them0 so Mozilla folks can think about what the sandbox
doesn't/can't prevent.

-tom