[tbb-dev] Proposal for redesigning the security controls

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:56:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 11:04:38AM -0500, Mark Smith wrote:
> Here are some additional thoughts that Kathy and I had after reading and
> thinking about the proposal:
>
> - Some aspects of this design involve creating new UI for functionality
> that is handled under the covers by NoScript. We should think about how
> we will accomplish that integration. For example, should we contribute
> UI design assistance and patches to NoScript?

We don't use all the functionality NoScript provides, has anyone
evaluated how much time it will take for reimplementing the
features directly into tor-browser? In particular, if we're already
thinking about burying the NoScript settings so it is out-of-sight
from the user, can we easily patch Firefox (or torbutton) so content is
blocked or click-to-play instead?

On mobile, NoScript is debatably even less usable than on desktop, so
I'd like to hide it (or drop it completely), if possible.

I didn't see an obvious ticket with details on this. A quick search
found a couple requests for this, but I didn't see a technical discussion:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=closed&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&type=%5Eproject&component=%5EApplications%2FTor+Browser&description=~Noscript&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority

Thanks,
Matt