[tbb-dev] Tor Browser for arm64/v8 on RPi3

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 16:38:19 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 04:03:00PM +0000, procmem wrote:
> Hi. We (Whonix) are working on RPi3 support which opens a lot of
> usecases and allows cheaper access to anonymity than before. For regular
> cleint side non-onion usage we consider Tor Browser an essential basic
> application. Can you please consider making TBB builds for arm64? Is the
> current Tor Browser port for Android helpful for such a project?

You might like:

It seems like we don't provide these builds due to lack of build
resources, right now. Debian already build Iceweasel for ARM/ARM64, so
there shouldn't be too much difficulty building Tor Browser.

With regard to Tor Browser for Android, I believe this achieves half of
the goal. Mozilla's work on porting Firefox to Android ensures the core
Firefox codebase compiles and runs on ARM and ARM64. However, Firefox
for Android relies on the Android runtime for everything except the core
browser functionality (fetching pages, receiving and response, rendering
pages, executing javascript, storing cookies, etc). I don't believe
there will be an easy way to use Tor Browser for Android on Linux
(natively).