[tbb-dev] sandboxed-tor-browser and TBB 7.5a5.

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Fri Sep 29 04:59:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 23:16:38 -0400
Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> >  * I'm strongly tempted to drop support for the alpha channel,
> > because I run stable builds of the browser, so that's more likely
> > to break since it's a "install it when someone cries about it"
> > thing for me.
>
> Isn't this a nice success case for the alpha channel, where it found
> a bug and now the bug is fixed?

Don't know.  Depends on if people expect the alpha channel to be usable
or not.

At this point there's been what I ordinarily would consider
unreasonable periods of time when the alpha release was unusable due to
things that I either broke and didn't test for (because I basically
exclusively use the stable release), or the browser changing and things
breaking that I can't test prior to a release being made.

If it's just a "testing" thing, then this may be fine.  Otherwise,
delivering something that ends up being broken quite often isn't very
responsible in my world view.

> I mean, I agree it would be smarter to have some sort of QA thing
> going on before alpha releases too. But if the worry is "nobody tests
> stuff before release", backing off so people only try the stable
> isn't going to help the stable stay stable.

Regardless, until I find something better, git master will keep
working with the stable channel, if only because I use it.

"official" releases are an entirely different story, because I have no
way of knowing if any given release will work till the release is made
presently.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel