[tbb-dev] build failure with runc-1.0.0

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 16:15:35 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I've tried building TB via tor-browser-build using runc-1.0.0-rc2 and
it is currently failing. Has anyone recently had success with this? I
created new debootstrap chroots of Xenial, Sid, Stretch, and Jessie - they
all failed for one reason or another. In general I'm getting the following
error, and this is caused by incorrectly parsing the Capabilities object in
the runc-config.json file (expecting an array of capabilities, but the file
containing the Capabilities object with array members is malformed). I
understand the reasoning behind the error, from bug 23039, but I'm not
sure why runc is expecting the old format.

$ make release
git submodule update --init
./rbm/rbm build release --target release --target torbrowser-all
Building project tor-browser - tor-browser-7.5a4-linux-x86_64-7de4de
Building project container-image - container-image_wheezy-amd64-df3a332e7b34.tar.gz
Building project debootstrap-image - container-image_wheezy-amd64.tar.gz
Using file /home/sysrqb/tor-browser-build/out/debootstrap-image/container-image_ubuntu-base-17.04-base-amd64.tar.gz
Error: Error starting remote:

json: cannot unmarshal object into Go struct field Process.capabilities of type []string

Makefile:6: recipe for target 'release' failed
make: *** [release] Error 1

$ sudo runc --version
runc version spec: 1.0.0-rc2-dev

$ apt-cache show runc
Package: runc
Version: 1.0.0~rc2+git20170201.133.9df8b30-3

I suspect this is some incompatibility in my system and it's partially caused
by running this in a chroot, but I'm not exactly certain. I successfully
built a torbrowser release using a fresh vm running Debian Stretch and
checking out commit HEAD~ in tor-browser-build, master's HEAD failed. It
seems the template for choosing between `runc start` and `runc run` chose
the wrong subcommand:

$ make release
git submodule update --init
./rbm/rbm build release --target release --target torbrowser-all
Building project tor-browser - tor-browser-7.5a4-linux-x86_64-7de4de
Building project container-image - container-image_wheezy-amd64-df3a332e7b34.tar.gz
Building project debootstrap-image - container-image_wheezy-amd64.tar.gz
Using file /home/sysrqb/tor-browser-build/out/debootstrap-image/container-image_ubuntu-base-17.04-base-amd64.tar.gz
Error: Error starting remote:

No help topic for 'run'

Makefile:6: recipe for target 'release' failed
make: *** [release] Error 1

$ sudo runc --version
runc version 0.1.1
spec: 1.0.0-rc1