[tbb-dev] Resolving file url handling issues

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Nov 16 10:03:00 UTC 2017

Yuki S:
> Hi, I'll be brief
>
> What is the stance on fixing the issues (pre/post). How optimistic is it
> that the bug can be fixed by Mozilla in a reasonable amount of time? Is
> it really a priority (as Mozilla pushes Quantum) when the issue
> primarily impacts groups like the TPO community who need a proxy shared
> on a multi-process design (rhetorical maybe), and doesn't impact the
> (current) target audience. Mozilla already matches donations so I wonder
> if it would be fair unless this is a bug not originally present in
> Mozilla's recent e10 re-architecture. The latest TPO could expect to
> transition to any Quantum code is July 2018, and earliest in March.
>
> From looking at tickets, and comments in the blog, 2 tickets which
> reference post-workaround issues are 24243, 24136. So I wonder if it
> would be worth it to fix the original design issue, which might impact
> TBB users until mid-2018, or wait for Mozilla to (maybe) fix a flaw that
> primarily impacts TPO community.

FWIW we think it is worth to get this issue fixed. We hope Mozilla is
doing that because the proper fix is not trivial and it is affecting
Firefox users as well. As far as I can see there is no ETA available,
though.

And, no, this problem is not related to e10s. macOS and Linux users not
haveing multiprocess mode enabled are affected as well.

Georg