[tbb-dev] Fwd: Intent to require Python 3 to build Firefox 59 and later

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Nov 13 13:30:00 UTC 2017

intrigeri:
> Tom Ritter:
>> The requirement will likely be Python 3.5+. Although I would love to make
>> that 3.6 if possible so we can fully harness modern features and
>> performance.
>
> I'm too lazy to check what's the base OS for the Tor Browser build
> boxes but here's what we have in Debian:
>
> python3.5  | 3.5.3-1       | stable     | source, amd64, i386
> python3.5  | 3.5.4-4       | testing    | source, amd64, i386
> python3.5  | 3.5.4-4       | unstable   | source, amd64, i386
> python3.6  | 3.6.3-1       | testing    | source, amd64, i386
> python3.6  | 3.6.3-1       | unstable   | source, amd64, i386
>
> So as long as Tor Browser is built on Debian 9 (Stretch aka. stable)
> or newer, we're good. Debian 8 (Jessie aka. oldstable) only has 3.4 so
> it won't cut it.

We are actually on oldoldstable right now to support some CentOS folks
as well. That said, this should not matter much in practise as we'll
compile the respective Python version ourselves if the one available is
not recent enough. It's a bit of extra-work and extra-complexity but it
had been done in the past and is not a real dealbreaker.

Georg