[tbb-dev] So, about the Linux sandbox in the long term?

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Fri May 26 18:52:05 UTC 2017

Hi Yawning,

Thanks for bringing this up and thanks for your work on the sandbox.
In my opinion, getting Tor Browser sandboxed should remain a high
priority.

> A few months ago I sent a detailed list of what remains to be done, and
> a time estimate assuming someone was working full time.  However, to
> be frank, I am increasingly uncertain as to if doing the improvements
> (beyond the security/hardening ones) makes any sense because:
>
>  * It is my belief that the current Tor Browser architecture is
>    diametrically opposed to what is required for proper
>    containerization.

Can you explain this a little further? Why are these diametrically opposed?

>    While `sandboxed-tor-browser` makes a valiant effort, the approach
>    is hampered and limited by what it has to work with, and it will
>    forever be stuck reimplementing large chunks of functionality from
>    firefox, torbutton, and tor-launcher.

Are there any other approaches to sandboxing that you now think would
be more practical?

Thanks,
Arthur