[tbb-dev] get-tb-version broken

Colin Childs colin at torproject.org
Mon Jul 10 10:29:25 UTC 2017

Hi Nicolas,

Sorry for missing this!

For the user manual, we do a check out of
https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/, and then
our configure script does the following[1]:

GET_TB_VERSION="${tor_browser_bundle_dir}/gitian/get-tb-version"

TOR_BROWSER_VERSION=$(eval $(GIT_DIR=${tor_browser_bundle_dir}/.git
$GET_TB_VERSION); echo "$TORBROWSER_VERSION")

During configure, this results in the following error[2]:
Could not find TORBROWSER version from tags. Does your git repo have tags?

According to Jenkins, up until May 21st, this worked as anticipated.

Thanks, I hope you had a nice weekend!

[1]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser/user-manual.git/tree/configure.ac
[2] https://jenkins.torproject.org/job/tb-manual/702/consoleText

On 04/07/17 08:58 AM, Nicolas Vigier wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jul 2017, Colin Childs wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Currently the Tor Browser user manual relies on the get-tb-version[1]
>> script to build. This script broke some number of weeks ago, so I'm now
>> looking into stripping that functionality from the manual.
>>
>> Before I go ahead and remove the functionality, I'd like to confirm that
>> this script is no longer maintained?
>
> This script is still used during the build to get the version number
> from the git tag. How is it used by the user manual, and how did it
> break?
>
> Nicolas

Colin Childs
Tor Project