[tbb-dev] [tor-project] We need project ideas for GSoC 2017!

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Jan 30 20:29:37 UTC 2017

Hey Damian, how's this:

-------

Crash Reporter for Tor Browser

Likely Mentors: Tom Ritter, Georg

Currently Tor Browser disables the Crash Reporter. We would like to
build it reproducible, enable it, and configure it to report crashes
containing non-detailed and impersonal information to Tor, on a .onion
submission platform that would allow us to view and explore the
crashes.

The project will entail enabling the Crash Report on Tor Browser and
creating a backend to receive reports from it. Once created, the crash
reporter data will be analyzed and modified to fit Tor's requirements
for personal data collection. As time permits, we will update the
build system to ensure the crash reporter is built reproducibly and
add data analysis tools for the crash report database to visualize top
crashers and similar statistics.

-------

Making Tor Browser Faster
Likely Mentors: Tom Ritter, Georg

This project will enable and take advantage of HTTP/2, the Alt-Srv
header, and tor's new single hop .onion mode to enable websites to
transparently move their traffic to a .onion address. In addition to
improvements in security, we will benchmark page load and paint times
under normal HTTP/1.1, HTTP/2, and when taking advantage of features
such as Server Push.

-------

-tom