[tbb-dev] future of tor-launcher? - Firefox XPCOM / XUL based add-ons deprecation

anonym anonym at riseup.net
Tue Jan 10 10:27:00 UTC 2017

Michael Carbone:
> The move away from XUL could be an opportunity to address this by
> building a more generic solution that could be used by the increasing
> number of tor-powered applications/environments, such as onionshare,
> ricochet, tails, qubes, subgraph, etc., in addition to tor browser and
> tor messenger.

Indeed! In Tails we have a ticket and blueprint tracking something like
this:

    https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10491
    https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/network_connection/

Of course, our configuration tool would also include OS-level stuff, but
I guess SubgraphOS/Qubes/Whonix would also be interested in that. At
least it'd be nice if code could be shared (e.g. we can import the Tor
configuration parts via a module and use the same  in our application).
Bonus if it's written in Python, building on the ecosystem of
Tor-related project we already have there (primarily stem).

I expect that some Tails people attending the Tor dev meeting in March
might be interested in discussing this.

Cheers!