[tbb-dev] future of tor-launcher? - Firefox XPCOM / XUL based add-ons deprecation

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Jan 9 08:34:00 UTC 2017

Patrick Schleizer:
> Hi,
>
> XPCOM / XUL based add-ons will be deprecated in Firefox. [1]
>
> I've searched trac, mailing list, irc logs... I know you are aware of
> that, but haven't found your plan forward. Is there already one?
>
> What are your plans regarding tor-launcher? Will tor-launcher be ported
> over as Firefox WebExtension? Is that even possible?

We investigated what we would need for porting the extensions over to
Webextensions a while ago in
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17248.

The current plan has not changed: we still plan to port our extensions
over to the Webextensions framework. It might need some upstream changes
which we would provide with own patches but we'll see.

Georg