[tbb-dev] Feedback on design decision for Tor Launcher

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:12:04 UTC 2017

> On 1 Mar 2017, at 04:43, Linda Naeun Lee <linda at torproject.org> wrote:
>
>>> However, I grant that there may be other technical issues with
>>> automation that could surprise us. It is risky to promise that it will
>>> work well. Do you know of any other bootstrap issues or control port
>>> weirdness that may cause problems with automating? Do you expect there
>>> to be lots of surprises?
>> I worry that on very slow connections, reducing timeouts will cut off
>> users who would have previously had a working configuration.
>
> Hmm, interesting.
>
> There are strategies to get users to wait! We could show them an informational video, give them a tour of the security features, or something like that (all of which are nice-to-have things I would have worked on way later).

This isn't what I meant:

If we tell tor to wait for less time for a connection to complete,
tor will break for all users who required the higher timeout.

This is a separate issue from convincing the *user* to wait.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org