[tbb-dev] Safe Browsing V4 will replace V2 in Firefox ESR 59

Ethan Tseng ettseng at mozilla.com
Tue Apr 11 09:50:23 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Mozilla is implementing the new spec version V4 of Safe Browsing.
(Currently, Firefox uses SB V2.)

We aim at rolling out SB V4 in Firefox ESR 59, which will be
released early next year.  And Google will shutdown SB V2 service
at that time.

I presume that this won't affect the Tor Browser since Safe Browsing
is disabled by default in TBB according to these prefs:
- browser.safebrowsing.enabled = false
- browser.safebrowsing.forbiddenURIs.enabled = false
- browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled = false

However, I still would like to give this heads up.

--
Ethan Tseng
Engineering Manager, Mozilla