[tbb-dev] versions.* files in tor-browser-bundle.git

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 03:46:03 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

In tor-browser-bundle.git we have four "versions" files:
  versions
  versions.alpha
  versions.beta
  versions.nightly

But, similar to tor-browser.git and torbutton.git, we also have
release and alpha branches, e.g.:
  remotes/origin/maint-5.5
  remotes/origin/maint-6.0
  remotes/origin/maint-6.5
  remotes/origin/master

And, most of the hashes and other lines in the various versions* files
are the same with only minor differences.

So I'm wondering if the versions.* files (with dot) are unnecessary.
Maybe we only need a single versions file in each branch? Instead we
could introduce any needed flags that specify whether we want to
verify inputs, etc.

Thanks,
Arthur