[tbb-dev] An Electrolysis-based approach for URL-bar domain isolation?

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 01:51:00 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:
> On 2 January 2016 at 18:01, Arthur D. Edelstein
> <arthuredelstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, I'm thinking: could we use the Electrolysis mechanism to use a
>> separate content process for each URL bar domain? In that case, any
>> information in a given content process not explicitly shared with
>> other processes or written to disk would be automatically isolated to
>> the URL bar domain [3]. For example, there could be a separate
>> in-memory cache in each content process.
>
> This may be a naive question but... are these memory stores _in_ the
> content process? It seems like Mozilla would want to put them in the
> chrome process for the same reason we want them in the content process
> - in their case, make things faster by sharing them across processes.

It's a good question. I think at the moment they may be in the chrome
process. Where memory stores go would presumably need to be part of
the discussion with Mozilla. Maybe having the cache in the content
process could be an option?

Georg correctly pointed out that 45 ESR is likely to have e10s. So
this idea would only potentially apply to TBB/52 ESR.