[tbb-dev] Firefox updater and dynamic libraries

Sukhbir Singh azadi at riseup.net
Tue Aug 2 02:02:56 UTC 2016

> Hi,
>
> I have been working on porting the secure updater patches from Tor Browser to
> Tor Messenger. While the updater works fine, there is a small issue where the
> updater can't find the dynamic libraries on Linux and OS X. (Windows is fine.)
>
> Here is for example what I get on Linux:
>
>     tor-messenger/Browser/updates/0/updater: error while loading shared libraries:
>     libmozsqlite3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> The error on OS X is almost similar. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to "." alleviates this issue but I doubt if that is the
> proper way of doing it.
>
> We are applying #4234 and #13379 to our builds, and even #18900 that sets the
> library path for the updater, but clearly I am missing something here.
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix this the right way? Thanks!

OK I managed to figure it out: I had disabled --enable-verify-mar and
therefore the library path was not added to linker's search path as
MOZ_VERIFY_MAR_SIGNATURE was false in nsUpdateDriver.cpp.

+#if defined(MOZ_VERIFY_MAR_SIGNATURE) && (defined(MAR_NSS) || \
+    (!defined(XP_WIN) && !defined(XP_MACOSX) && !defined(MOZ_WIDGET_GONK)))

Sigh.

--
Sukhbir