[tbb-dev] Memory Allocator #10281 write-up

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Tue Oct 6 04:06:11 UTC 2015

Firefox has a feature where you can build a memory allocator library
and shim it into Firefox - this is called building a memory
replacement library. It requires an additional build-time
configuration option.

Our first investigation was with PartitionAlloc being built as a
memory replacement library. This mostly worked, except we could not
replicate the implementation of memalign, which required editing the
core internals of PartitionAlloc.  It's also important to note that
our use of PartitionAlloc did not actually partition the allocations
based on any intelligent design. This is an ongoing problem.

Currently, when Firefox performs an allocation, it will snake its way
through the layers of abstraction until it arrives at our replacement
library. The only information that has been passed into our
replacement library is the size of the allocation. We do not have any
context about what the allocation is for, and therefore which
partition we would like to place it in.  (We theorized about walking
the call stack in assembly and binning allocation based on that but
this was an untested idea.)

The work with PartitionAlloc paused.

After some time, Firefox began investigating partitioning allocations
using jemalloc3's partitioning capabilities. jemalloc3 is a new
version of the currently used allocator, jemalloc. Mozilla's migration
process is first to move to jemalloc3, and then to start partitioning
allocations. Currently, their move to jemalloc3 is paused because
<actually I'm not entirely sure why. I think "performance" and
"mobile".>

However the code for jemalloc3 is present, and making use of it is
only a configuration change away. jemalloc3 solves one of the problems
of PartitionAlloc - the allocator actually, completely works. Mostly.
There is at least one issue which I believe is <an outstanding bug in
jemalloc causing mismatched VirtualAlloc/Free calls - but this may be
fixed now>. We did some performance comparisons of jemalloc vs
jemalloc3 and it was reasonable: http://imgur.com/a/A6TV9

To actually partition allocations we can implement a replace library
that makes use of jemalloc3's partitioning capabilities. But we run
into the same problem as before - we don't have any context to know
what partition to put an allocation into.

One thought was that we could use memory tags, but after
investigation, that did not seem feasible.  We _can_ go through the
Firefox codebase and change the allocation call to include an arena
constant, but this patch will be difficult to maintain, we are likely
to miss some allocation situations, and eventually Mozilla will do
this themselves.