[tbb-dev] Upgrade path for MacOS users?

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Mar 31 04:03:39 UTC 2015

I was reviewing the 32bit end-of-life MacOS post, and noticed that it
states that all Mac users (32 bit or 64 bit) will have to manually
update from 4.0 to 4.5:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/end-life-plan-tor-browser-32-bit-macs

Is this still the case? Are there any workarounds we can do for this?
Do we have the ability to send out the 64 bit full MAR for all OSX users
on 10.7 or newer (who should all be 64 bit, or 64 bit capable)?

If we release a 4.0.7 just for the remaining 10.6 users, can we check
for 64 bit support in some way? According to this support page, it seems
the official way to check is to actually inspect the CPU model name:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3696

Oddly, it also sounds like 10.6 machines that have 64bit-capable CPUs
can run 64bit apps even if the kernel is 32bit:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/28/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_to_the_kernel

It seems as though we may also be able to recommend that 10.6 users can
try to boot into 64 bit mode:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3773

But I've seen reports that switching kernels like this can result in
buggy operation in comments on this post:
http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/07/how-to-tell-if-youre-running-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-kernel-in-mac-os-x-snow-leopard/

--
Mike Perry