[tbb-dev] Orfox Updates

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Thu Jun 4 12:44:01 UTC 2015

On 6/4/15 12:54 AM, Amogh Pradeep wrote:
> Eventually, after going through all the patches and testing out the
> applications it was producing, I managed to boil it down to one file
> that was causing the problems, toolkit/xre/nsXREDirProvider.cpp . This
> file seems to be modified as a patch to bug 9173 [3] . Currently I've
> replaced this with the esr38 release branch file. I'd like to know
> whether this is fine, if not, what other fix can be found for this
> problem.

I am not sure if you need that patch or not, but behavior of the
built-in updater and other things may depend upon it being present.  The
following Trac comment explains the purpose of the 9173 patch:
   https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9173#comment:8

In short, that patch makes it so the browser looks under the
TorBrowser/Data/Browser/ directory for user data (including the browser
profiles, disk cache, and so on).

Does OrFox use an on-disk layout that is similar to the one Tor Browser
uses?

What problem was caused by the 9173 patch?  Profile not found?
Something else?

With OrFox, how does the firefox binary get started?  Or is the entire
startup process different on Android compared to desktop Firefox?

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent