[tbb-dev] Orfox: Porting TorButton to Android

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Mon Jul 20 17:46:41 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015, at 01:12 PM, Amogh Pradeep wrote:

> > On Jul 20, 2015, at 12:15 PM, Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > Nathan Freitas:
> >>
> >> Amogh and I are trying to figure out the shortest path to getting
> >> TorButton ported to Android, such that we can have the essential privacy
> >> features without having to say, port all the XUl/user interface
> >> components.
> >>
> >> Our plan is to remove all XUL components (for now) since those would
> >> need to be written for the mobile specific XUL on Android, and they seem
> >> to be helpful but not absolutely required.
> >
> > I don't think this is true. "New Identity" comes to mind which does not
> > work if you just remove all XUL related things. Window resizing/Screen
> > size spoofing is another feature. And there are probably a bunch of
> > others as well.
>
> The “New Identity” feature can be replaced for mobile, since Orbot
> handles all the tor connections, I think it would be possible to add this
> functionality through NetCipher’s OrbotHelper class[0].

Agreed. For now, Orbot does this, and we don't need to expose it inside
of Orfox for now.

> >> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbutton.git/tree/src/components
> >>
> >> should work in the mobile context. However, there could be problems
> >> based on not all of the JS/DOM API being the same. Since we also don't
> >> run our own instance of Tor within Orfox, none of the control port
> >> specific JS is relevant.
> >>
> >> If anyone on this list can help us prioritize the JS components to
> >> required vs nice to have, that would be helpful.
> >
> > See the "Bug 1506 PX" comments where the "X" is in the range of 0-5 (0 =
> > low prio, 5 = high prio) which got included a while a ago. This is,
> > however, missing the latest Torbutton improvements. But it might be a
> > good start and we could use the momentum to categorize the newer code
> > accordingly as well.
>
> Much of the extra control port JS could be modified to talk to the Java
> layer which communicates with Orbot which in turn handles these
> connections. This is a lot of work though, might be a good idea but.

We must decide which functionality is required or just nice to have.
Screen size spoofing is complicated because mobile screens are radically
different and change quite a bit, and inherently you want the screen to
work with the display, else users will be annoyed. This may be an area
where we just can't match Tor Browser's anti-fingerprinting features.

Otherwise, Amogh and I will work through the Bug 1506 comments.

Thanks!