[tbb-dev] Orfox: Porting TorButton to Android

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Jul 20 16:15:09 UTC 2015

Nathan Freitas:

> Amogh and I are trying to figure out the shortest path to getting
> TorButton ported to Android, such that we can have the essential privacy
> features without having to say, port all the XUl/user interface
> components.
>
> Our plan is to remove all XUL components (for now) since those would
> need to be written for the mobile specific XUL on Android, and they seem
> to be helpful but not absolutely required.

I don't think this is true. "New Identity" comes to mind which does not
work if you just remove all XUL related things. Window resizing/Screen
size spoofing is another feature. And there are probably a bunch of
others as well.

>>From there, hopefully all the code here:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbutton.git/tree/src/components
>
> should work in the mobile context. However, there could be problems
> based on not all of the JS/DOM API being the same. Since we also don't
> run our own instance of Tor within Orfox, none of the control port
> specific JS is relevant.
>
> If anyone on this list can help us prioritize the JS components to
> required vs nice to have, that would be helpful.

See the "Bug 1506 PX" comments where the "X" is in the range of 0-5 (0 =
low prio, 5 = high prio) which got included a while a ago. This is,
however, missing the latest Torbutton improvements. But it might be a
good start and we could use the momentum to categorize the newer code
accordingly as well.

Georg