[tbb-dev] New Guy Wants To Help With The TorBrowser Experience

spencerone at openmailbox.org spencerone at openmailbox.org
Fri Jan 2 12:44:56 UTC 2015

Hey y'all, here are some of my thoughts, which are also posted on the
ticket [#9387] . I used my own terms here, made up on the spot, but
please make me use yours if mine complicate the discussion.

After reading the ongoing discussion, here are my two Satoshi:

Splitting the JavaScript allowances between allowance setting positions
on the slider could be confusing for people. It requires explaining what
JavaScript is and what it does in detail, that is, presuming that
explaining the settings in detail is necessary, and I think we are on
the same page in thinking that it is. Alternatively, we can not explain
the settings in detail, though that leaves people unclear as to what is
actually happening, e.g., some JS is disabled/all JS is disabled,
doesn't explain much.

However, whatever the number of allowance settings, and four seems to be
the path forward from here, the details [what people see] should be
written in human, not computer. Though maybe that could be toggled for
those who prefer one or the other.

Regarding a 'Custom' allowance setting on the slider itself, that makes
things a bit confusing. The slider could be the foremost front-end
allowance settings option, inherently likening 'Custom' to 'Advanced'.

I agree that the allowance settings interface just after install should
be the allowance settings interface in 'Preferences', as an attempt to
lessen visual and mental fragmentation.

The tool tips for allowance setting positions are cool, but are hidden
for most people. The always-on text for descriptions is better for full
understanding of options/decisions, but takes up space. The always-on
text for descriptions that is only visible at each allowance setting
position fits in the middle of these two options but requires work,
clicking and whatnot. Maybe, in addition to this middle option, the
other unselected allowance setting position descriptions appear on
hover, or in place, of the always-on text, as an alternative to
grayed-out.

After reviewing TB 4.5 Alpha 2 [Mac]:

Setting security preferences could be a prompt in the second dialog,
considering the first is the drag-to install dialog. I see benefit in
not forcing people to make such decisions right away, but people are
using TB for a reason, so maybe it can be expected.

'Cookie Protections' seems like a preference. What is cookie protection,
IDK, so maybe this is an advanced setting.

'Proxy Settings' could be second after 'Privacy and Security Settings',
however, 'Proxy Settings' seems like an advanced setting, maybe
simplifying the experience for many people.

'Privacy Settings' and 'Security Level' could use some explaining. I
would like to think that I am securing my data with the security
settings, or, in other words, securing my privacy. Semantics could be
important here. Are we only securing our anonymity?

I am all for the vertical slider, given the varying lengths in allowance
setting position labels. We could move allowance setting position labels
to the left of the slider with descriptions to the right. If we're only
showing the current/selected allowance setting position description,
this provides plenty of space for a more detailed explanation.

Questions:

Is there a visual flow of the dialogs and what they contain, or is it
all in development text archives?

Is there an outlet for visuals, like wireframes?

Does there have to be a "tradeoff between features and security"? It is
a big bite to take, but, can alternatives be written as stand-ins to
replace the vulnerable features?

Awesome,
SpencerOne