[tbb-dev] cross platform building TB's Firefox

Michael Schloh von Bennewitz tordevmuc at encambio.com
Fri Feb 20 15:20:12 UTC 2015

Hello Gunes,

On Fri., févr. 20, 2015, gunes acar wrote:
>Tor Browser hacking document has this section on building *just*
>Firefox - instead of the whole bundle:
>https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking#BuildingJustFirefox
>
>I want to do that, but in a cross-platform manner; i.e. I want to
>build Mac & Win versions of TB's Firefox on Linux. And I'd like to
>avoid running the whole build system to make things faster.
>
>Mike pointed the scripts in the build system's Gitian descriptors:
>https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/tree/gitian/descriptors/mac/gitian-firefox.yml#n26
>https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/tree/gitian/descriptors/windows/gitian-firefox.yml#n28
>
>Would anyone have other suggestions or pointers?

Can't remember if it made a difference but when I had similar
problems (avoiding full builds cross platform) I switched to
the Mozilla 'mach' build script. It's documented everywhere and
might do a few things that the yaml scripts using plain old make(1)
don't pay attention to.

  $HOME/devel/tor-browser.git$ ./mach build

...might need to set CONFIGURE_ARGS too. Good luck.

Cheers,
Michael