[tbb-dev] Reproducibility of incremental MAR files

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Sep 29 17:37:51 UTC 2014

During the IRC meeting last week, we discussed about the best place to
generate the incremental MAR files, and because we want them to be
reproducible, gitian looked like the right place to do it.

In order to see how easy it is to reproduce incremental MAR files, I
decided to generate an incremental MAR on two different Linux
distributions between tor-browser-linux32-4.0-alpha-2_fr.mar and
tor-browser-linux32-4.0-alpha-3_fr.mar.

And the result was that without doing anything special, the MAR file
that was created was identical on both hosts.

So it seems that using gitian is not needed in order to be able to
reproduce those incremental MAR files.