[tbb-dev] TBB 3.6.6 and self-signed certificates

Bram de Boer list-tbb-dev at nosur.com
Fri Sep 26 21:27:17 UTC 2014

Georg Koppen wrote:
> I *cannot* connect to the site at the moment despite
> switching the pref as you did.

Thanks for trying. And can you access the website with TBB 3.6.5? If so,
that confirms the behaviour I have been seeing.

I have found one difference between 3.6.5 and 3.6.6 that still
consistently occurs; perhaps by-design?

  - Preferences > Privacy > Use custom settings for history
  - Untick "Always use private browsing mode". TB will now restart
  - Visit website with self-signed certificate
  - Tick "Permanently store this exception"
  - Clicking [Confirm Security Exception] won't have any effect. The
button animates the click but nothing happens?!

This occurs with both https://www.patternsinthevoid.net and
https://nosur.com. I have successfully used the flow described above with
all previous TBB versions. Afterwards I immediately re-enable the "Always
use private browsing mode" option and then have the permanent exception
for the website.

Was this behaviour changed by design? If so, it might be user-friendlier
to just disable the checkbox, rather than having a non-functional button.
What is the recommended way to add a permanent exception (if at all,
because that would obviously make the user uniquely fingerprintable).

Thanks,
Bram