[tbb-dev] [tor-qa] 64 bit Mac Builds?

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Sep 5 07:58:37 UTC 2014

Mike Perry:
> Tom Ritter:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I _think_ I've managed to build a 64-bit version of Tor Browser for
>> Mac OS.  Specifically, I built the entire bundle, but only TorBrowser
>> was modified to be 64bit.  The changes I made are here:
>> https://github.com/tomrittervg/tor-browser/commit/79fbe1e3ffde1ac3577a9937aa88f6785b161634
>> (ignore the last couple lines commenting out some options I had added,
>> then removed).
>>
>> The bundles are here:
>> https://ritter.vg/misc/transient/2014-09-02-4.x-1-build1-tjr5/
>>
>> It would be fantastic if anyone could test the bundles and/or the
>> patch and determine if
>>
>> a) you agree it's 64 bit
>> b) it works
>> c) anyone else can reproduce a 64 bit build (I'm not going for full
>> reproducibility right now, just a successfull build that is 64 bit)
>
> Does this enable full ASLR, along with any other OSX hardening options
> that you saw in Firefox that we were lacking, or do we still need the
> 10.7 SDK for those?

For what it is worth we need to switch to the 10.7 SDK for ESR 38
anyway. See: https://bugs.torproject.org/12761. Thus, we might want to
start early (i.e. after ESR 31 based bundles got out) which would allow
us to solve one blocker for the ESR 38 based release beforehand. Note,
though, that switching to the 10.7 SDK is perfectly possible with
supporting 10.6.

Georg