[tbb-dev] Need review for Tor Browser theming patch integration #10399

Martin Häcker mhaecker at mac.com
Thu Oct 30 21:34:04 UTC 2014

Hello List,

for Bug #10399: Tor Browser should be visually distinguished from Firefox to prevent user error. (e.g. accidentally entering deanonymizing information into Firefox which should go into Tor Browser or the other way around, when used side by side)

I recently got a patch to integrate a theme to the point where I would really like some feedback about it and the way I integrated it into the build process.

Specifically I'm seeking feedback about how I integrated the plugin that actually implements the theme into the build process.

This is unfinished, as of yet, by being only integrated into the mac build process - as I can test that natively. Is the integration the way this is supposed to be? Is that the way to also implement this for the other platforms?

If possible I would like to defer the discussion how the theme that is finally chosen should look like. For testing I included a theme that tries to be somewhat similar to the Tor website. BUT: I consider that a placeholder, @saint already created some alternative themes: http://imgur.com/a/qn6Ih

This is implemented as a plugin that activates a lightweight theme (also known as Persona) so it is very easy to create such a theme, and all of the exiting firefox personas can be used if wanted. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/themes/?sort=popular)

  So what do you guys think of the way I integrated the theme into the build process?
  Is that how it's supposed to be?
  Should that work differently?
  Should I continue to build the integration for the other platforms the same way?

Many thanks,
Martin Häcker