[tbb-dev] Developing using Tor

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Nov 14 08:44:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

Delton Barnes:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to do some development but would prefer to anonymously. I
> am on a machine where traffic is not routed through Tor by default.
>
> Initially there is this step:
>
>   git clone https://git.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git
>
> That would associate my IP address with Tor development. Would it work
> to instead just do that via torsocks?
>
>   torsocks git clone
> https://git.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git

yes.

> Are there other instances where there might be non-Tor connections?
> (Build scripts?)

Have a look at the Makefile for building the Tor Browser. If you are not
building nightlies then torsocks should get used. See:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/blob/HEAD:/gitian/README.build
as well. Note: he master branch builds currently only nightlies and
alphas. If you want to start with building a stable Tor Browser use the
maint-4.0 branch.

Georg