[tbb-dev] Tor Messenger and Certificates

isis isis at torproject.org
Sun Nov 2 00:14:09 UTC 2014

Sukhbir Singh transcribed 0.9K bytes:
> Hi list,
>
> We are thinking of including certificates for OFTC, CCC, etc. with Tor
> Messenger, since some of these popular chat servers use self-signed
> certificates. Quick questions about this:
>
> - Is this a good idea -- including these certificates by default? Or
>   should we let the users click on "add exception" and then add the
>   certificates themselves?

It's probably friendlier to package them in, since they are frequently used by
a large number of people.

I can't think of any messaging programs off the top of my head which
explicitly bundles in commonly used self-signed certifications.  Somewhat
similarly, however, Adam Langley's xmpp-client does hardcode a list of .onion
addresses for commonly used XMPP servers. [0]  As such, it's probably
acceptable to add certificates in a transparent manner.

[0]: https://github.com/agl/xmpp-client/blob/master/config.go#L187
--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft