[tbb-dev] Releasing 4.0.1 w/o update notification

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Sat Nov 1 19:48:49 UTC 2014

On 10/31/14 11:48 PM, Mike Perry wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I think it is probably most wise to release 4.0.1 without an in-browser
> update or update notification, or at best, only an update for Windows
> users.
>
> If we do want to update only the Windows users, what's the best way to
> do that? Is it even a good idea, given that we're aware that it may
> actually break things for some of them due to
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/13594?
>
> Right now, I am thinking the circumstances mean "no update" for this
> reason, but if anyone disagrees, feel free to say so.

Unfortunately 13594 is a bit of an unknown as far as how many Windows
users are affected.  Kathy and I tried to come up with a fix over the
past couple of days, but we ran out of time.

The only thing that is confusing about not advertising an update is that
people may wonder why they are not able to update to the latest version
(4.0.1) from within the browser.  But we have dealt with that problem in
the past with Tor Browser non-security critical updates.

To avoid advertising an update, I think we will need to tweak the
.htaccess file that boklm's script generates.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent