[tbb-dev] Current thoughts on tb-manual presentation

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri May 30 08:06:54 UTC 2014

Matt Pagan:
>> Ultimately, I wonder if relying on the system browser to display a
>> component of the Tor Browser would violate the Proxy Obedience security
>> requirement of the design document.
>>

> My security concerns may be misplaced here, though. What do developers
> think of Lunar's design? Is the warning message clear enough? If others
> think so, I'm ok with going this route.

Please, let's not rely on a non-Tor Browser for the reasons you pointed
out. Even with the warning on the first page there is plenty room to
shoot oneself in the foot.

Couldn't you split the tbb manual efforts a bit and having a real manual
in the Tor Browser available (be it as pdf or in html) and treating the
subset Lunar mentioned (whatever exactly that might be) differently?
I.e. having additional help buttons in the Tor Launcher menus that are
opening scrollable textboxes explaining things/offering help? The only
use case that is not covered by this idea is a Tor Browser that got
stuck even before Tor Launcher dialogs are showing up.
Not sure how important it is to have this one covered with a manual we
ship as well. IMO this should be covered by a different kind of support
which is e.g. offered on the same page the user downloads the bundle from.

Georg