[tbb-dev] Current thoughts on tb-manual presentation

Matt Pagan matt at pagan.io
Thu May 29 15:19:57 UTC 2014

Lunar:
> Matt Pagan:
>> On the other hand, having a locked down manual reader in the browser
>> seems like it would be the most user-friendly option.
>
> Another option. The manual has no external resources and we rely
> on the system browser. In the Tor Browser archive, there's a symlink to
> a page like the following one:
> https://people.torproject.org/~lunar/volatile/manual/
>
> There's probably many style and UX improvements that can be made, but
> you can get the idea.

My thoughts on this are that users may understand that Tor is not
working in the browser, and then wonder how to get Tor working in the
browser.

Another concern I have here is that users for whom Firefox is the
default browser would be running Firefox and Tor Browser side by side if
they did not close the manual when they were done reading it. I myself
have accidentally visited web pages in Firefox instead of Tor Browser
when I have had both browsers running at the same time, and I regularly
tell users the importance of not getting their Tor Browser and regular
browsers mixed up.

On the other hand, this risk could be reduced if it were possible to
open the system browser with no toolbar, menubar, or navigation bar.

Ultimately, I wonder if relying on the system browser to display a
component of the Tor Browser would violate the Proxy Obedience security
requirement of the design document.

--
Matt Pagan
PGP: 0xE9284418E360583C