[tbb-dev] Tor Browser version strategy

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Mon Mar 24 15:20:00 UTC 2014

On 3/24/14, 8:49 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> while that is true, would Mozilla have a need to modify its Firefox
> updater at all and should it? I mean, we only patch the updater as not
> all our other Tor Browser patches are merged upstream yet. So, I expect
> Mozilla to say: "Look, neither you nor we need that modified updater as
> it only exists due to all your other fixes not being upstreamed. Let's
> fix the latter then." And this position is quite reasonable IMO.
> Especially as they have to deal with the Tor Project related updater
> code if there is some time in the future where all our patches are
> indeed merged upstream (Granted, that will still take quite some time :).).

Are you saying that if/when all of our Firefox patches have been merged
upstream, we can just ship Firefox as part of TBB?  That may be true,
but if we plan to continue to ship a bundle that includes tor, the PTs,
etc. then we will still need a way to update the entire bundle.

> Or do/did you implement some hardening features that Mozilla might be
> interested in taking? That might change the game...

We have not implemented any hardening features yet but Mozilla might
take the hardening features but still not want to take version-related
patches.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent