[tbb-dev] How much the Tor Browser is still a Bundle?

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Tue Mar 11 09:51:08 UTC 2014

Georg Koppen:
> > We usually call Tor's flagship product the “Tor Browser Bundle”.
> > But since Tor Browser 3 and our departure from Vidalia, I'm having a
> > harder time going on calling it a “bundle”.
>
> that might be true. Nevertheless, it is not just a browser we are
> shipping. We also ship tor and there are pluggable transports coming.

Oh, I agree we ship plenty of things to create the Tor Browser. But
users do not care. Regarding pluggable transports for example, the UI
says “which type of bridges” do you want to use. Users have no notion
that this is provided by additional bundled software. And I don't think
they should care.

I would probably argue differently if we would support the Tor Browser
as a standalone thing, but I don't think it is the case. We don't offer
to download a browser on one side and a bundle on the other.

Developers in our community can learn all about the components that
makes the Tor Browser what it is. They have an interest in that. Our
users, not so much.

> > One concrete example is the logo and the wording that is visible in the
> > configuration wizard. The logo says “Tor Browser Bundle” and the text
> > right next to it says “Before the Tor Browser Bundle tries…”.
> > Couldn't we just drop the “Bundle” here?
>
> I'd say "no" as the Tor Browser is not connecting to the Tor network but
> rather (presumably) to your local running tor. Maybe omitting "Tor
> Browser Bundle" and rewording the whole sentence properly might be a
> better solution, don't know.

I don't understand. My proposal was to replace:

    Before the Tor Browser Bundle tries…

by:

    Before the Tor Browser tries…

How is this related to the local running Tor?

Although given that Tails is now using Tor Launcher, not mentioning any
specific application here would be the best move.

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>