[tbb-dev] Running xpcshell tests

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Fri Jul 11 22:30:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014, Mark Smith wrote:

> On 7/11/14 11:02 AM, Nicolas Vigier wrote:
> >
> >After running the xpcshell tests on Firefox 24.6 and Tor Browser, I have
> >seen that:
> >
> >  - 6 tests failed on firefox, and it took 10 minutes to run those tests
> >
> >  - 121 test failed on tor-browser, and it took 2.5 hours to run those
> >    tests
> >
> >My plan now is to automatically run the tests on all of our commits
> >(starting from the last from mozilla), save the results and time spent
> >running each test, and compare with the previous commit, in order to
> >find which commits cause tests to fail.
>
> Do you plan to investigate why more tests fail (and take so long) on
> tor-browser?  Many are probably explainable due to our patches, but it would
> be good to know for sure.  Or maybe we need to divide the investigation task
> up among the various TBB developers?

What I'm planning to do is to make something that will rebuild and run
the tests on each of our commits, and compare results and time spent
with results from the previous commit. This should tell us for each test
failure (or increase in testing time), which commit introduced it.
Once we have those results, it should simplify the investigations, and
we can divide the task if needed.