[tbb-dev] Are incremental updates working?

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Wed Dec 10 04:05:56 UTC 2014

On 12/9/14 7:22 PM, Mike Perry wrote:
> I just noticed that my 4.5-alpha-2 update from 4.5-alpha-1 on Linux was
> 50M instead of 2M, so presumably I did not get the incremental version
> of the MAR. I don't recall seeing any error messages about the
> incremental failing, but perhaps I blinked and missed it.
>
> Is this an implementation bug? Or did we just not properly deploy the
> incrementals for 4.5-alpha-2 on the website correctly in some way?
>
> It looks like
> https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/update_2/4.5-alpha-1-4.5-alpha-2-linux64-en-US.xml
> exists and seems to have sane data in it, so perhaps this is actually a
> bug?
>
> Are incremental updates working for anyone else?

I just did a quick test on Mac OS 10.9.5 and an incremental update from
4.5-alpha-1 to 4.5-alpha-2 worked fine (4.1 MB update).  But maybe it is
not working on Linux64 for some reason?  I will try that tomorrow unless
someone else reports their experience before I get to it.

Also, if you flip the hidden pref app.update.log to true before you
check for updates, interesting messages may be logged to the Browser
Console.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent