[tbb-dev] localization question

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Wed Dec 3 20:45:00 UTC 2014

Arthur D. Edelstein:
> Hi All,
>
> What's the correct procedure for localizing strings in torbutton? Do I
> just need to add strings to src/chrome/locale/en/torbutton.dtd, update
> the references in the code, and then translators take care of the
> rest?

Yes this is correct. You add your new strings only to english, and when
they get pushed to origin/master, transifex automatically copies
placeholder strings in english into all of our other locales, and also
starts giving us translations as they appear. We obtain these
copies/translations via the trans_tools/import_translations.sh script,
which I run periodically and before tagging new releases.

> And what about tor-browser.git?

For strings in the browser, we also put them in Torbutton currently and
simply use those entities from Tor Browser, as we have no localization
infrastructure that is capable of splitting strings between ours and
Firefox's.

--
Mike Perry