[tbb-dev] TBB versions file

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Apr 14 09:50:29 UTC 2014

Nicolas Vigier:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014, Georg Koppen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> hmmm... how do we handle cases like the one with the current beta where
>> we have to rebuild/rebundle things multiple times and it is urgent to
>> get the new bundles out? Even if we get better at it this might still
>> happen in the future. One idea would be to look at the commit in
>> addition to the version. While that might be better it is probably not
>> helping in cases we just want to rebundle things and run the test
>> suite... Might get even more complex if we, say, only need to rebuild
>> the pluggable transport part.
>
> Ah, I have been thinking about that just after sending the mail. I think
> we can add a build number in the versions file, in addition to the
> version number. And when either the version or build number changes, we
> run the tests again.

That is good for (re-)running the test suites. But I am still wondering
about re-running the builds as we often only need to rebundle things.
But that should not necessarily trigger a whole rebuild. Especially not
if we need to get new bundles out urgently and would need to wait on
having this rebuild finished before.

Or is this (re-)running builds feature just an orthogonal feature
unrelated to actual releases? So, maybe I did not filly understand what
you had in mind with "This versions file could be also used by an other
script to trigger new builds." then.

Georg