[tbb-bugs] #20691 [Applications/Tor Browser]: Updates are not getting properly applied when trying to update to 6.5a4(-hardened) on OS X and Linux

Tor Bug Tracker & Wiki blackhole at torproject.org
Thu Nov 17 11:15:37 UTC 2016

#20691: Updates are not getting properly applied when trying to update to
6.5a4(-hardened) on OS X and Linux
 Reporter:  gk                        |          Owner:  tbb-team
     Type:  defect                    |         Status:  new
 Priority:  Immediate                 |      Milestone:
Component:  Applications/Tor Browser  |        Version:
 Severity:  Critical                  |     Resolution:
 Keywords:  TorBrowserTeam201611      |  Actual Points:
Parent ID:                            |         Points:
 Reviewer:                            |        Sponsor:

Comment (by gk):

 Replying to [comment:2 mcs]:
 > On OSX, I am able to successfully apply the update (the control port
 Unix domain socket is in the `TorBrowser-Data` directory, which is outside
 the scope of what the updater touches, so the ensure_copy problem does not
 occur). But on the OSX system that I used for testing, after the update
 was applied and the browser restarted, tor failed to start. This happened
 because quotes are missing from the `ControlPort unix:...` argument which
 was passed on the tor command line by Tor Launcher (I have spaces in my
 path). But we fixed that problem in Tor Launcher! After a little more
 investigation I learned that Tor Launcher was not updated in the profile
 or in the `TorBrowser.app/Contents/Resources/distribution/extensions`
 directory. I don't know why yet though, and we might need a new ticket for
 OSX. The dmg files have the correct Tor Launcher. I have not checked the
 complete mar files  and I have not done enough analysis to determine if
 the incremental mar files are flawed or if the updater failed to update
 the xpi properly.

 Interesting. I made a couple of tests taking a fresh 6.0.5 and a fresh
 6.5a3. I tested updating the stable both in a desktop and an /Applications
 location and it worked: the extensions and everything seemed to be fine.
 Note, though, that we only have full updates right now for the stable

 For the alpha I tested just installing it on the desktop and applying the
 MAR files manually. Both the incremental and the full MAR file applied
 correctly and the extensions were updated, too.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20691#comment:5>
Tor Bug Tracker & Wiki <https://trac.torproject.org/>
The Tor Project: anonymity online

More information about the tbb-bugs mailing list