[tbb-bugs] #14121 [Tor Browser]: make TBB usable as "system Tor"
Tor Bug Tracker & Wiki
blackhole at torproject.org
Tue Jan 6 15:29:16 UTC 2015
#14121: make TBB usable as "system Tor"
Reporter: proper | Owner: tbb-team
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: normal | Milestone:
Component: Tor Browser | Version:
Keywords: | Actual Points:
Parent ID: | Points:
= TLDR =
We would like to use TBB as "system Tor".
= Long =
== Why? ==
* Most, latest technology for censorship circumvention, i.e. pluggable
transports such as meek, scamblesuite, fte, etc. will not be packaged for
Debian anytime soon.
* Pluggable transports are due to their nature too dynamically evolving.
There is a giant gap between availability of a pluggable transports and
installability from stable distributions such as Debian.
* Vidalia has been deprecated. There is no nicely looking, maintained way
to easily configure Tor and bridges anymore besides the tor-launcher add-
* TBB comes with the tor-launcher add-on, which is a well maintained GUI
for configuration and troubleshooting of Tor and all sorts of the latest
and greatest pluggable transports.
* TBB comes with recent versions of Tor.
* TBB is built reproducibly.
== Current Problem ==
At the moment, TBB is an integrated browser package. It does not integrate
well for use with other applications, with the general system. Because,
* once you close the browser window, no other application can connect.
* it's not possible to just configure and start Tor without opening the
* once Tor is configured, you cannot start Tor without running X server
== Related ==
It's still an open task how to "Make TIMB and TBB/PTTBB cooperate in a
Maybe we can think of something to solve both at once.
== Solution ==
This is one solution that might work. Not necessarily the ultimate one. A
A combination of new start scripts + environment variables obeyed by tor-
* keep ~/tor-browser_en-US/start-tor-browser as is
* add other launcher scripts to the Browser (or so) sub directory to keep
your main directory simple
* add ~/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/start-tor-only
* add ~/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/stop-tor-only
* add ~/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/configure-and-start-tor
* add ~/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/configure-tor-only (if that is possible)
* add ~/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/start-browser-only (connect to
previously started Tor)
That should suffice making TBB usable as "system Tor".
What do you think?
= Feedback =
What do you think about this proposal in general?
Linostar and I have some other solutions involving xul launcher in mind.
Maybe you have some other possible solution in mind?
Depending on how much, complex, difficult this task is, linostar might
provide a patch to add this feature.
Ticket URL: <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14121>
Tor Bug Tracker & Wiki <https://trac.torproject.org/>
The Tor Project: anonymity online
More information about the tbb-bugs