[ooni-talk] [Report] OONI Partner Gathering 2024 in Malaysia

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Thu Jul 25 13:45:33 UTC 2024

Hello,

We are excited to share that today we published a *report on the OONI
Partner Gathering 2024*: a 2-day event hosted in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia,
which brought our partners from Asia and the Middle East together to
exchange skills and knowledge on internet censorship research.

Read the report here:
https://ooni.org/post/2024-ooni-partner-gathering-report/

In May 2024, we hosted the OONI Partner Gathering with the goal of
strengthening regional and global collaborations on censorship measurement
research and advocacy.

The event included *45 individuals from 30 countries*. Specifically, the
participants included OONI partners from Southeast Asia, South Asia, East
Asia, Central Asia, and the Middle East, some OONI partners who work
internationally, as well as the OONI team.

Why Malaysia? We developed a script which identified Malaysia as a
*visa-friendly
location* for our participants. We also loved the fact that this data
finding coincided with the base of our long-term partner, Sinar Project! <3

Based on partner feedback which shaped the agenda, the OONI Partner
Gathering included a *diverse set of 25 censorship-related sessions* --
ranging from advocacy and litigation to research and data analysis.

View the *detailed Agenda* here:
https://ooni.org/documents/OONI-Partner-Gathering-Agenda.pdf

As part of the event, we had the opportunity to exchange experiences,
skills and knowledge, to improve our understanding of local challenges and
community needs, and to collect invaluable feedback. We have
documented the *partner
feedback* here:
https://ooni.org/post/2024-ooni-partner-gathering-report/#partner-feedback

We expect such feedback to inform the improvement of OONI tools!

As an outcome of the OONI Partner Gathering, we also expect to see *increased
use of OONI tools & data in support of research and advocacy* over the next
years! We share more details on the outcomes of the event here:
https://ooni.org/post/2024-ooni-partner-gathering-report/#outcomes

Huge thanks to our partners for their invaluable feedback and
participation! You made the event an unforgettable experience for us all. <3

Warm thanks to the Ford Foundation and Luminate for supporting the OONI
Partner Gathering 2024 and making this event possible!

We aim to host additional OONI Partner Gathering events for our partners in
Africa and Latin America over the next few years.

Please help spread the word about the OONI Partner Gathering 2024:
https://x.com/OpenObservatory/status/1816423154639671385
https://mastodon.social/@ooni/112846737573442433

Warm thanks,

OONI team.