[ooni-talk] [Report] Grindr blocked in Jordan

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Wed Sep 20 16:37:54 UTC 2023

Hello,

Today OONI, in collaboration with My Kali Magazine, published a *new report
on the blocking of Grindr in Jordan* ("Grindr blocked in Jordan: Shrinking
LGBTQ spaces").

Read the report here: https://ooni.org/post/2023-jordan-blocks-grindr/

Our report shares OONI data on the ongoing blocking of Grindr in Jordan. As
of 8th August 2023, OONI data shows that access to Grindr (both the website
and app) is blocked by means of TLS interference.

According to Grindr, the block impacts their public health strategy as
their Grindr for Equality program has played an important role in
addressing the HIV epidemic in Jordan.

Meanwhile, OONI data shows that Grindr is also blocked in several other
countries, including Iran, Turkey, Indonesia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, the UAE,
Qatar, Lebanon, Pakistan, and China:
https://explorer.ooni.org/chart/mat?test_name=web_connectivity&axis_x=measurement_start_day&since=2023-08-21&until=2023-09-21&time_grain=day&axis_y=probe_cc&domain=www.grindr.com

We thank OONI Probe users in Jordan who contributed measurements,
supporting this study.

We also thank Grindr and LGBTQ communities in Jordan for discussing the
impact of this block and sharing their experience with us.

Learn more through our report:
https://ooni.org/post/2023-jordan-blocks-grindr/

Thanks,

Maria.