[ooni-talk] OONI sessions at RightsCon, Costa Rica, 5-8th June

Elizaveta Yachmeneva elizaveta at openobservatory.org
Wed May 24 08:46:33 UTC 2023

Hi everyone!

We are happy to share that part of our team, Maria, Arturo and Elizaveta, will be attending RightsCon <https://www.rightscon.org/> in Costa Rica!

We compiled a list of sessions related to OONI, where we and our partners will be discussing OONI tools and sharing our latest projects and findings. Some of the sessions are online and hybrid, so please feel encouraged to join us at any of these events even if you do not plan to come to the RightsCon in person.

If you plan to host other sessions or events during RightsCon and want to invite OONI Community, please feel free to share the info about the sessions (or events) in #ooni channel on Slack <https://slack.ooni.org/>.

Please find here the sessions our team will be attending as speakers, all time is UTC +4 zone:

KeepItOn in 2022: successes, opportunities, struggles, and lessons learned in the fight against election-related shutdowns
Host: Access Now | Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet)
Time and location: June 6, 2023, 7 - 8pm +04, Room: Central 2

Tools to tackle internet shutdowns and censorship: What’s going on online? Building an internet shutdown early warning system
Host: Measurement Lab | Open Observatory of Network Interference (OONI) | Georgia Institute of Technology, Internet Outage Detection and Analysis (IODA)
Time and location: June 6, 2023, 8:15 - 9:15pm +04, Room: Colibri

Data and action: using data analysis for incident response and threat prevention
Host institution: Center for Digital Resilience
Time and location: June 7, 2023, 8:15 - 9:15pm +04, Room: Tortuga

Learn to investigate internet shutdowns through an Iran 2022 case study
Host: Access Now | Open Observatory of Network Interference (OONI) | Georgia Institute of Technology, Internet Outage Detection and Analysis (IODA)
Time and location: June 7, 2023, 10:45 - 11:45pm +04, Room: Tucan

Internet blocking and the consequences for human rights?
Host institution: Cloudflare
Time and location: June 8, 2023, 10:45 - 11:45pm +04, online

These are some other sessions featuring OONI, all time is UTC +4 zone:

Election monitoring and internet shutdowns: reaching new communities for network measurement and activism before elections
Host institution: National Democratic Institute (NDI)
Time and location: June 7, 2023, 8:15 - 9:15pm +04, online

Censorship circumvention: how to dodge Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) – Just plug in: an appliance approach to measure internet censorship
Host institution: Venezuela Inteligente
Time and location: June 8, 2023, 5:45 - 6:45pm +04, online

Shutting down the shutdown: mainstreaming proactive civil society responses to internet disruptions
Host institution: International Republican Institute (IRI) | Google (Jigsaw)
Time and location: June 9, 2023, 12 - 1am +04, Room: Central 3

Warmly,

OONI Team