[ooni-talk] Net probes

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Tue Dec 12 15:33:30 UTC 2023

Hi Luis,

Thanks so much for your email, and sincere apologies for the delayed
response. We meant to reply sooner, and then it slipped through the cracks
-- sincere apologies!

First, huge thanks for configuring OONI Probe CLI on Raspberry Pis,
distributing them across Ecuador, and contributing measurements -- hugely
appreciated!

On a related note: The great folks from Venezuela Inteligente have created
PiProbe for running OONI Probe on Raspberry Pis:
https://github.com/VEinteligente/PiProbe

You can see how to *enable automated testing* on OONI Probe CLI here:
https://ooni.org/support/ooni-probe-cli#enabling-automated-testing

Unless if you have changed the default settings, all your OONI Probe
measurements from Ecuador will be published in real-time on:

* *OONI API:* https://api.ooni.io/

* *OONI Explorer*:
https://explorer.ooni.org/chart/mat?probe_cc=EC&since=2023-11-13&until=2023-12-13&time_grain=day&axis_x=measurement_start_day&test_name=web_connectivity

If you're interested in performing your own analysis, we would recommend
using the API for light-weight queries. For batch analysis, we recommend
fetching the dataset from the Amazon S3 bucket:
https://ooni.org/post/mining-ooni-data

If you have data analysis questions or need relevant support, I'd suggest
reaching out to our colleague Arturo (cc'd to this email). You can also
find us on Slack (https://slack.ooni.org/) or IRC for real-time discussions.

Overall, you can get started with *investigating internet censorship in
Ecuador through the use of our Measurement Aggregation Toolkit (MAT)*:
https://explorer.ooni.org/chart/mat?probe_cc=EC&since=2023-11-13&until=2023-12-13&time_grain=day&axis_x=measurement_start_day&test_name=web_connectivity

We provide a *user guide on how to use the MAT* here:
https://ooni.org/support/ooni-explorer/#measurement-aggregation-toolkit-mat

And we provide *documentation on interpreting OONI data* here:
https://ooni.org/support/interpreting-ooni-data/

Unfortunately we are not able to identify cities based on OONI
measurements, as we do not collect this information out of concern for the
privacy of OONI Probe users.

Instead, OONI measurements only include the country and ASN in terms of
location.

You can use the MAT to *explore how censorship differs across networks* in
Ecuador:
https://explorer.ooni.org/chart/mat?probe_cc=EC&since=2023-11-13&until=2023-12-13&time_grain=day&axis_x=measurement_start_day&axis_y=probe_asn&test_name=web_connectivity

You can also use the MAT to check the blocking of different categories of
websites, domains, apps, etc.

If it's helpful, I'd be happy to schedule a call with you to provide a live
demo on using the MAT, and address any questions you may have.

Regarding your interest in detecting internet outages: I'd strongly
recommend the following 2 resources:

1) IODA: https://ioda.inetintel.cc.gatech.edu/dashboard

2) Cloudflare Radar: https://radar.cloudflare.com/

Apologies for the delayed response. I'm happy to discuss further via email,
a call, or on our Slack channel.

Best,

Maria.