[ooni-talk] New OONI report on throttling of news media in Kazakhstan

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Fri Apr 28 11:06:52 UTC 2023

Hello,

Today the OONI team published a new research report documenting the t*hrottling
of news media websites in Kazakhstan*.

You can read the report here:
https://ooni.org/post/2023-throttling-kz-elections/

In our latest report, we analyse the ongoing throttling of Radio Free
Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) Kazakhstan’s service websites in Kazakh and
Russian (www.azattyq.org and rus.azattyq.org), which started on 27th
September 2022.

We also document the temporary throttling of Current Time TV during
Kazakhstan's 2022 presidential election.

OONI data shows the ongoing throttling of RFE/RL Kazakhstan’s service
websites on most tested Kazakh providers, while Current Time TV was mainly
throttled on AS9198 (JSC Kazakhtelecom).

This report documents how OONI data can be used to investigate and document
cases of throttling.

We thank OONI Probe users in Kazakhstan for contributing measurements,
making this study possible. <3

~ OONI team.